Hodgson Expresses World Cup Security Concerns
Thu 20th Feb 2014 | Safety & Security
Roy Hodgson has expressed concern over fan safety at the World Cup in Brazil this year.
The England Manager has been in Manaus as part of preparations ahead of the tournament which sees England take on Italy in the Amazonian city on June 14th.
On a tour of the stadium, Hodgson told the BBC, “You do think about the fans. As far as we [the team] are concerned we are going to have a lot of protection, and it’s more for the fans that this is a larger concern.”
Preparations for the World Cup in Brazil have been marred by civil unrest over the high cost of hosting the tournament. The Confederations Cup, held last year saw huge protests with over one million people taking to the streets across the country.
“I have to say that I don’t want to suggest there is no reason for concern. Of course, there is,” added Hodgson.
“From my point of view I just have to be trusting in our security, the security of the Brazilian government and all the things that FIFA will do to make it secure for the fans and the players.”
The Brazilian government have pledged to have one police officer for every 50 people attending a soccer match and at least one officer for every 80 people at public viewing events during the tournament.
Bradburys, a specialist security provider has warned that visitors to the country should remain vigilant at all times and to be aware of the risks posed when travelling to and from venues.
For more about security at the World Cup read our Security & Executive Protection Handbook
Image: Action Images - REUTERS/Bruno Kelly
Posted by: Aaron Gourley
|RETURN TO LATEST NEWS SECTION|
|SUBSCRIBE TO THE FCBUSINESS RSS FEED|
|If you have any football business related news stories you’d like to share then please contact us –|
To subscribe to our range of football newsletters including news, products and jobs CLICK HERE.
Wed 12th Apr 2017 | Safety & Security
With the current threat from international terrorism in the UK remaining at severe - as it has done since August 2014 – and amidst Tuesday night's bomb attack on the Dortmund team bus ahead of...
Mon 16th May 2016 | Safety & Security
Manchester United have released a statement outlining ‘the facts’ surrounding the evacuation of Old Trafford on Sunday. Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said in a...
Wed 17th Feb 2016 | Safety & Security
FIFA have said they will seek to recruit more female Security Officers in a bid to address the gender balance within the field of security. With safety and security at football events across the world...