Leaders
Dallmeier

Business Directory

Browse the Directory

Sign Up to the Directory

FC Business Twitter
FC business Linked in
FC Business facebook
FC Business Youtube

New buyer in frame for Liverpool

Tue 24th Aug 2010 | Clubs Ownership

Renowned deal-broker Keith Harris claims an overseas buyer is considering making an offer of between £400million and £500million for Liverpool.

The former Football League chairman, who has had a hand in the sales of Aston Villa, West Ham and Manchester City in the past, said due diligence has already been done.

Harris also said the party he was representing was not one mentioned publicly before.

"The overseas buyer we represent has completed due diligence. A huge amount of work has been done," he said.

"It is none of the groups mentioned in the press. The ball is now in our client's court to make an offer.

"I do not think the deal will be done before the transfer window closes this month but the next pressure point is October when some of the RBS loan of £237million has to be repaid.

"It may happen then. But in the present climate these things are impossible to predict."

Last week Hong Kong-based businessman Kenny Huang - whose interest was allied to the Chinese government - pulled out of the bidding process, while Syrian-Canadian Yahya Kirdi's much-publicised interest has been treated with scepticism.

Harris said history has taught him that those who went public before an agreement had been reached rarely succeeded.

"The Chinese government involvement was always a bit far-fetched," he told the London Evening Standard.

"In any takeover situation, when people resort to announcing it to the media, you have to question the seriousness of the offer.

"If the name of the prospective buyer comes out before the deal is done then probably it is never going to be done.

"Look at when Chelsea was sold in 2003. My firm was advising the club and we only knew of Roman Abramovich on the Thursday before the deal was completed the following Tuesday."

Harris worked on a bid for Liverpool two years ago for Kuwaiti Nasser Al Khorafi, whom it is claimed agreed a deal for £300million up front and another £100million based on financial performance only to pull out at the last minute.

"He just lost his appetite. No explanation was forthcoming," added Harris.

 

If you have any football business related news stories you’d like to share then please contact us –agourley@fcbusiness.co.uk or ryan@fcbusiness.co.uk

Add to: Google Google | Yahoo Yahoo | Live Live | del.icio.us del.icio | Digg Digg |

Related Articles

Altrincham FC Seek New Investment

Thu 13th Jul 2017 | Clubs Ownership

At a recent Extraordinary General Meeting, the shareholders of Altrincham Football Club passed a series of motions which will now allow the club to bring in new investors. A new controlling share in...

Hartlepool United Announced Club Restructure

Wed 28th Jun 2017 | Clubs Ownership

Hartlepool United Chairman, Pam Duxbury has announced the first phase of the club’s restructure following relegation to the National League and subsequent resignation of Gary Coxall. Coxall...

Chinese company 5USport buy stake in Northampton Town

Mon 26th Jun 2017 | Clubs Ownership

Northampton Town Football Club have announced a new partnership with 5USport, a Sports Development and Education Company based in Guangzhou, China. As part of this partnership and following approval...

Leyton Orient purchased by business consortium headed by Nigel Travis, a life-long fan of the club

Fri 23rd Jun 2017 | Clubs Ownership

Leyton Orient Football Club has announced that it has been purchased by a business consortium Eagle Investments 2017 Limited, headed by British-born Nigel Travis, 67, the Chairman and CEO of Dunkin'...