FIFA vote scandal won't damage England's 2018 Bid
Mon 18th Oct 2010 | FIFA
The damaging claims regarding FIFA executive members selling votes in a leading Sunday paper should not harm England’s bid to host the World Cup 2018 according to a senior FIFA member.
The damaging allegations made in the The Sunday Times yesterday revealed how two FIFA executive committee members offered to sell votes has shocked world football.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter said the affair has had a "very negative impact" on world football's governing body.
But according to the BBC, Chuck Blazer, the American member of FIFA's executive committee, said it should not damage England - and the 2 December vote need not be postponed.
Blazer, a member of the 24-strong executive committee which will decide on the World Cup hosts, said it should not sway opinion against England.
"I don't think this is an issue which will have an anti-English backlash in the executive committee," he said.
"If it had been in a Spanish paper, would that damage the Spanish bid? I don't think so."
The revelations against executive committee members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii come just two days after it was it was announced that the US would be withdrawing its bid to host the 2018 World Cup to concentrate on 2022 and England vice-versa strengthening the countries bid.
The allegations reveal how Nigerian Adamu said he wanted $800,000 (£500,000) to build four artificial football pitches, money to be paid to him directly for endorsing a US bid.
Blazer said all bidding countries he had dealt with had behaved entirely properly.
He added: "I'm disappointed with what I have read but you can't say the system is bad. They have created a scam, a trap, tempting people to do something wrong and it's up to the FIFA ethics committee to make their recommendation."
But Blazer said: "We should deal with it within the timeframe established. We want to keep the issues separate and it's important we conclude the World Cup decision.
Blatter has said he wants a full investigation into the matter which lead to fears that the World Cup decision, due to be announced on 2nd December would be delayed.
However Blazer said there would be no reason to delay the decision and that any investigation could be done within the timeframe.
- SUBSCRIBE TO THE F.C. BUSINESS RSS FEED
- BECOME A FAN OF F.C. BUSINESS ON FACEBOOK
- FOLLOW OUR TWEETS ON TWITTER
- LINKED IN TO FOOTBALL INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS
Fri 7th Apr 2017 | FIFA
FIFA has published its Financial , Governance and Activity Reports for 2016. The Reports mark a landmark year in the history of FIFA, with the approval of much-needed governance reforms after a period...
Thu 24th Nov 2016 | FIFA
From 2013 to date, English clubs had the most transfers involving engaging club intermediaries - 905, representing 37.7% of all incoming transfers to England. The report compiled by FIFA Transfer...
Thu 13th Oct 2016 | FIFA
A passionate advocate of equality and inclusion in sports, Joyce Cook will take up the role of FIFA Chief Member Associations Officer on 1 November 2016. This position was created as part of the...
Fri 23rd Sep 2016 | FIFA
Former Dutch football international Marco van Basten has been appointed as FIFA Chief Officer for Technical Development. The role, which he officially starts next week, will see van Basten head up all...